Mexican tostadas are fried corn tortillas topped with refried beans, meat and vegetables. This crips tortilas are easy and fun to make and very enjoyable to eat.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet and cook beef, onion and garlic until the meat is brown.
- Drain excess fat and add canned tomatoes, chopped chili, oregano, cumin and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry corn tortillas, one or two at a time, until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and stack.
- Spread each tortilla with warm refried beans. Put 2 heaped tablespoons of meat on top of the beans.
- Top with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and grated cheese.
- Finish off with some salsa.
You can substitute chopped garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. If there is no time to make them at home, substitute 2 cups refried beans with one 15 oz can.
Heat the refried beans while the meat is simmering.
For a variation, replace beef with pulled pork, chicken or shrimps.
There are also crisp tortillas with chicken, or tostadas de tinga, made the same way but with no refried beans.
Food in America