A flour, semolina and yogurt cake soaked in lemony syrup.
- Place water and sugar in a pan. Heat to the boiling point and then simmer 4-5 minutes. Make sure that the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice and let it to cool.
- Heat oven to 360º F. Grease an oven pan.
- Place eggs, sugar, yogurt, melted butter, flour, semolina, baking powder and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix well, about 3-4 minutes with the hand blender.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Bake until the cake is done and the top is golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and pour the syrup over the cake straight away.
- Let the cake absorb the syrup while it cools down.
- When the cake is at room temperature, cut it into pieces and serve.
The cake should be hot and the syrup cool when pouring.
Add some lemon zest to the cake for more flavor. The cake can be also flavored with rose water or with orange flower water, orange juice and orange zest
Food in Asia