Sausage stuffed acorn squash
Sausage stuffed acorn squash makes a wonderful autumn bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (160°C).
- Warm up the olive oil in small skillet over a medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until it has browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and coarsely chop sausage, if needed. Set aside in a bowl.
- Place the onions in the skillet and cook them for approximately 5 minutes, until tender and golden in color. Remove from heat, and add to the bowl with sausage.
- Cook the mushrooms in the skillet until they are golden brown, place them into the bowl.
- In the large bowl mix the mushrooms, onions and sausage. Add in the apricots, pine nuts, maple syrup, bread crumbs, Parmesan, thyme and sage. Toss well, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Halve the acorn squash, removing the seeds and strings. Place stuffing inside of the halves. Pour a half cup water into the baking dish and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the squash is tender.
Substitute bread crumbs with cooked rice and this recipe should be free of gluten. However check the ingredients for the sausage as sometimes breadcrumbs may be added to make it tender.
Food in U.S.A.