Onion rings are a thing in Nevada where farmers grow lots of onions.
- Separate the onion slices into rings.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Add the milk and fat, whisk together until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, about 3 inches.
- Dip the onion rings into the batter, a few at a time, and drop them in the hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove the golden onion rings from the oil and rest on paper towels to remove excess fat.
- Serve immediately.
Onion slices should be about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. Oil for frying should be at 300º F (150º C)
If frying many onion rings, heat the oven to 375º F (180-200º C) and place already fried onion rings in the oven, on a tray or cookie sheet, once the fat has been drained to keep them warm and crispy while the rest are cooking.
Food in U.S.A.