This salad is easy and quick to prepare, so that you will have time for more interesting matters.
- Cut the arugula greens into 1 1/2 inch length and place in a large bowl.
- In a steamer that is set over boiling water, steam the asparagus, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until just crisp-tender. Put the steamed asparagus into a colander, rinsing under cold water to stop cooking. Drain very well.
- Finely chop the bacon and cook in a large heavy skillet until golden and crisp, remove from heat and fat, reserving 3 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Whisk together shallots, orange juice, vinegar, salt,and pepper in a medium sized bowl, carefully whisk in the hot bacon fat.
- Toss the greens with enough of the warm dressing to coat then sprinkle with bacon.
- Serve warm.
Bacon is optional. Omit the bacon or substitute with cheese to make this salad suitable for a vegetarian diet.
Food in U.S.A.