If you need to get up and going, müesli is great. Cereals, nuts, fruit and milk or yogurt make a well balanced breakfast. Now you can prepare your own.
Prepare the cereal
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a bowl, mix oat, spelt flakes, cinnamon and vanilla sugar. Pour maple syrup, stirring until well mixed.
- Coat a large baking sheet with melted butter and cover with an even layer of cereal. Bake until the cereal flakes turn golden brown -about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Pour cereal into an airtight container and add nuts and raisins, mixing well.
- Distribute cereal among 4 bowls. Add the grated apple and milk or yogurt to taste.
Increase oats to 2 cups, if no spelt flakes are available.
Store the cereal in the fridge for up to a week.
Use no-stick cooking spray to coat the baking sheet -faster, but without the taste of butter.
Instead of serving the cereal with fresh apple, add 1 cup chopped dried apple slices to the cereal at the same time you add the nuts.
Dr. Bircher-Benner was the first to serve this cereal at his Zurich clinic in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He used a balanced diet,including cereals, fruit, vegetables and nuts, to heal his patients. He changed the way people ate in the 19th century.
Food in Europe