Sausage rolls from Nigeria
The dough for the sausage rolls would probably be made with flour, butter, eggs, water and salt, kneaded and left to rise. Chilled pizza dough, however, is a good enough substitute.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Dust a flat, clean surface with the flour. Place the roll on the floured surface and roll into a 16-inch square.
- Cut the dough into quarters and divide each quarter into 4 squares. Place a sausage on a each square and roll up the dough around it. Brush or spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil and arrange the sausagerolls on the surface.
- Mix the water with the beaten egg and paint the rolls with this mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
The low-fat way to cook the sausages is by steaming or boiling. Fill a pan with enough water to cover the sausage links and bring to a boil, add sausages links then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Drain and put sausages on paper towels to dry.
Sausage rolls are cooked sausages are wrapped in dough and baked. This is a popular Nigerian snack food.
Food in Africa, East Africa