A sweet made with peanuts embedded in caramel and broken into pieces once the caramel has hardened. It is very easy to do in the microwave oven.
- Line a shallow baking pan or baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Combine syrup and sugar in a glass bowl and cook in the microwave oven for 3 minutes on high.
- Remove the mixture from the microwave and stir.
- Add peanuts to the mixture, mix, return to the microwave and cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and stir once more.
- Mix in butter and vanilla extract. Return to the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute more.
- Get the recipient out of the microwave and gently stir in baking soda until the mixture is smooth and foamy.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared pan. Allow to cool until hardened.
- Once hardened, break into pieces.
Peanut brittle will keep well stored in a dry, airtight container at least for for 2 months. Separate the pieces to prevent them from sticking together. You can use parchment or wax paper to separate layers of peanut brittle.
Food in America