These no-bake layered bars are one of Canada's favorite sweet treats.
- In a double boiler, over hot water, place 1/2 cup butter, sugar, egg vanilla extract and cocoa. Stir mixture until slightly thickened and it looks like a custard. Remove from heat.
- Mix in Graham cracker crumbs, coconut, cocoa powder and chopped walnuts.
- Put the mixture in a greased 9-inch square pan and press down.
- Mix 1/4 cup butter, milk, confectioner's sugar and custard powder. Spread this mixture over the first layer.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate chips in the microwave oven and very slowly stir in 1 tablespoon of butter until just blended. Spread the melted chocolate over the second layer.
- Refrigerate and cut into bars.
To make it easier, you can cut into the chocolate while is still warm and then refrigerate to cut completely the bars when set.
Apparently the bars were first concocted in the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia.
Food in America