The best way to enjoy Lamingtons, these cocoa and coconut iced cakes,the Aussie way is with a cup of strong coffee. Make it milk or chocolate milk for the young ones.
Make the sponge cake
- Preheat oven to 375° F (180° C).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Whisk cream and sugar. Beat eggs and add, one by one, together with a tablespoon of flour each time.
- Fold in remaining flour.
- Transfer it to 1 greased square cake pan. If you divide the cake dough between 2 smaller pans it will bake faster.
- Bake in middle shelf for minutes to 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes - 45 minutes to 1 hour if using 2 pans.
Make the icing
- Sift sugar and cocoa into a small bowl.
- Add butter and water and mix until smooth.
- Let stand the bowl with the icing inside a large bowl of hot water until the butter has melted and the icing is runny.
Finish the cakes
- Cut the sponge cake into squares.
- Coat the cake squares with icing, then roll in coconut.
- Let them cool on a sheet of grease proof paper.
If you are using a food processor to prepare the sponge cake, add the flour first, the processor will sift it in a blink, then cream, sugar, and eggs, whisked. Transfer to the baking pan and bake as explained before
Short of time? Get any pound cake or Madeira cake from the store, cut them into squares and use this recipe for icing to transform it into Lamington cakes