A sweet curry with a fruity flavor from Indonesia.
3 lb chicken (cut up in pieces)
2 T cooking oil
salt (to taste)
pepper (ground black pepper, to taste)
1 c orange juice
1⁄3 c raisin (seddles, or currants)
3 T chutney
2 T curry paste (or to taste)
1⁄2 t cinnamon (ground)
4 sweet potato (peeled and sliced crosswise into 1 inch thick pieces )
water (for juices and corn starch)
2 t corn starch (mixed with a little cold water)
1 cn tangerine (or mandarin segments, 11 oz can)
2 banana (peeled and sliced thick)
1⁄2 c almond (toasted and slivered)
- Heat oil in a pan. Brown chicken in oil on all sides, drain, return to skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix orange juice, raisins, chutney, curry and ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add sweet potato to the pan and pour in juice mixture to cover all items.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 30-40 min, or until chicken and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove chicken and sweet potato from heat and arrange on a serving tray.
- Skim fat from pan juices. Measure pan juices and add water to make 1 1/2 cups. Pour into a saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water and add to the saucepan with the juices. Stir and cook till thick and bubbly.
- Add drained oranges and bannas. Pour entire mixture over chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Garnish with almonds and serve.
This fuity curried chicken is great with cooked long grain rice.
main course, dinner
Indonesian food recipes
Food in Asia
Food in Asia