Borscht has many variations and each family prepare the dish differently. Some may add cabbage some may add potatoes.
- Bring the broth to a boil, add cabbage and potatoes and simmer until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add onion. Cook until slightly soft.
- Add carrot and cook until it begins to lose its color.
- Season with ground pepper.
- Add beet and tomato, cover and cook slowly for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beet and carrot mixture to the broth together with the lemon juice. Simmer 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Distribute the soup among individual bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.
Borsch is eaten warm in winter and cold in summer.
Borscht is a specialty from Eastern European and Russian cuisines. It is the Ukrainian national dish. It is found in countries with bitter cold winters.
The soup dates from medieval times. It was a poor-man´s food as beets and cabbage were cheap and easy to keep.
Food in Europe