A simple cauliflower and potato dish in the tradition of India with a glorious taste, even if it does not have many ingredients or spices.
1 T cooking oil
1 t cumin (cumin seeds)
1 cauliflower (medium size, cut into florets)
4 potato (small but not baby, peeled and sliced)
2 chili pepper (optional, fresh green chili, seeds removed, sliced thin)
3 T ginger (minced or grated)
1 t turmeric
coriander (chopped leaves, garnish)
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add cumin seed, green chili, and ginger. Cook for about a minut, until ginger browns and chili is soft.
- Add turmeric, cauliflower, potatoes, and salt. Cover the pan and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Potatoes should be soft.
- Uncover and countinue cooking for 10 minutes more, or until cauloflower and potatoes are done.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle chopped coriander on top, and serve warm.
If you like second helpings, use a large cauliflower and add a couple of potatoes more.
Omit chili if you do not like spicy dishes. Are more chili if you like curries hot and spicy. You can add some minced garlic with the cumin, ginger, and chili.
If you want to impress, cook the cauliflower and potatoes before adding them to the pan:
- Sauté or bake if you want a deeper flavor.
- Steam or par-boil if you want a softer texture.
vegetarian, side dishes
Indian food recipes
Food in Asia
Food in Asia